Tuesday, December 22, 2009
* Singletary decides to apologize for Smith. Last time I check, Singletary is not God so it is not his fault Smith does not have the talent to be a good quarterback in the NFL. [SF Gate]
* Shockingly, smart people don't want to travel to one of the worst cities in the United States. [SJ Merc]
* I hate to say this but ... Tom Cable deserves to be the coach of the Raiders. [CC Times]
* Monta Ellis does deserve to an All-Star but the Warriors are terrible so good luck next year. [SF Gate]
* At this point, doesn't it benefit everybody if Turiaf and Biedrins don't come back!? The Warriors need John Wall in the worst way and anything that reduces their odds of getting him is a bad thing. [CC Times]
Friday, December 18, 2009
Understatement of the year? "Warriors coach Don Nelson calls Radmanovic a 'sub on a good team'" [SFGate'>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/12/18/SPOH1B5VQR.DTL&feed=rss.jshea">SFGate]
Sure, it's only Randy Moss' fault and not Tom Brady's fault. Both Merrill Hoge and Ron Jaworski watched the NE-Carolina game tape and didn't see Moss shutting it down. But, Gwen Knapp doesn't care what the tape says. [SFGate'>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/12/17/SP8L1B5CTJ.DTL&feed=rss.gknapp">SFGate]
Okay, you cover the NFL and not NCAA, I get it. But, you can't call Sam Bradford Mark Bradford. Seriously? [SFGate'>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?blogid=45&entry_id=53720">SFGate]
Every day, I like Ahmad Brooks more and more. [SJ'>http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2009/12/17/ahmad-brooks-boosts-49ers-pass-rush-says-its-time-to-let-the-dog-loose/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+49ersHotRead+%2849ers+Hot+Read%29">SJ Merc]
Seriously, Darren McFadden? WTF? Where's the speed? Where's the breakaway? [CC'>http://www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraiders/2009/12/17/mcfadden-strictly-a-singles-hitter/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+iba_raiders+%28Inside+The+Oakland+Raiders%29">CC Times]
At least Alex Smith isn't JaMarcus Russell. how weird is that? Here's what Russell cost the Raiders. [NFP'>http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Russells-enormous-cost-to-the-Raiders.html">NFP] By the way, the way people talk about Jake Locker sounds JMR warning bells in my ears.
Tuesday, December 15, 2009
* The Mayor of Oakland wants a water front park which he thinks will revitalize the city. In other news, rich people root for the Giants so there is no way it can be privately financed and the city of Oakland is broke. Good luck with that. [SF Gate]
* It is time for the Giants to sign Holliday. He will cost a fortune but the 2010 Giants season will just as pointless as the Warriors 2009-2010 season without the addition of a big time hitter. [SI]
* Garko will not be back with the Giants. Who else is excited that the Giants traded a bunch of prospects for Freddie Sanchez instead of Victor Martinez!? [SJ Merc]
* The Niners are officially the Vikings without Brett Favre! How exciting! [SF Gate]
* Nothing like ripping the defense when the quarterback can't throw the football more than 25 yards. Great reporting! [SJ Merc]
* Keep losing Warriors ... we need John Wall. [CC Times]
* How pointless is the Warriors season? Someone at the Chronicle thought this story was newsworthy. My journalism 101 teacher would have failed me if I turned this in. [SF Gate]
Wednesday, December 9, 2009
Bruce Jenkins recycles his defense of McGwire for the Hall of Fame. [SFGate'>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/threedotblog/detail?blogid=60&entry_id=53149">SFGate]
The rest of Jenkins' 2010 HOF ballot. [SFGate'>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/12/09/SPRO1B122N.DTL&feed=rss.bjenkins">SFGate]
Bobby Crosby is headed to Pittsburgh. Meh. Also, look for the A's to kick the tires on Matsui and Vlad. [CC'>http://www.ibabuzz.com/athletics/2009/12/09/bobby-crosby-looks-pittsburgh-bound-thoughts-on-as-and-hideki-matsui-vladimir-guerrero/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+cctextra%2FEhhe+%28Chin+Music%29">CC Times]
The Giants are going to stay young and stay away from Johnny Damon and Jermaine Dye. [SJ'>http://blogs.mercurynews.com/extrabaggs/2009/12/08/sabean-rules-out-johnny-damon-or-re-signing-bengie-molina-laments-pudge-rodriguezs-two-year-deal-with-washington/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ExtraBaggs+%28Extra+Baggs%29">SJ Merc]
Bochy discusses the top of the Giants' lineup. Ugh. [SFGate'>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/giants/detail?blogid=22&entry_id=53135">SFGate]
Barry Bonds' son got arrested. [SJ Merc]
Maiocco's 53-man review from the 49ers-Seahawks game. [Press-Democrat'>http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/12/a-look-at-all-53-from-49ers-loss-in-seattle.html">Press-Democrat]
The Niners dropped the ball, literally. [SFGate'>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?blogid=45&entry_id=53108">SFGate]
Gradkowski wins AFC Offensive Player of the Week award. [CC'>http://www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraiders/2009/12/08/gradkowski-afc-offensive-player-of-week/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+iba_raiders+%28Inside+The+Oakland+Raiders%29">CC Times]
Thursday, December 3, 2009
* If Gore likes it, I like it. [SF Gate]
* Breaking news: the Raiders still suck. [CC Times]
* Wait a second, Vernon Davis is no a play maker? Is it opposite day? [SJ Merc]
* Great college football game tonight. [ESPN]
* What does two CY Youngs get you? An ESPN commercial. [SF Gate]
* What do you do when your pitching staff is dominant and you can't hit? Get rid of your leading RBI guy who happens to be play catcher. Makes sense to me ... it is opposite day. [SF Gate]
* I added the A's article because I thought someone from Portland might want to read about their future baseball team. [CC Times]
Tuesday, December 1, 2009
* Is Roger Craig a Hall of Famer? Some so know. [Pro Football Reference]
* I love how the Niners have one good offensive weekend and people are talking about who gets the credit. How about the people who should get fired for running such a terrible offense for the first 11 weeks of the season!? [SF Gate]
* The first person to tell you the Heatley trade was a no-brainer was ... ME! Nice try Mark Purdy. [SJ Merc]
* Monta - Stephen Jackson = All-Star / IT player. Remember when you were talking to that guy that said trading Jackson was a bad idea? How dumb does that guy look!? [SF Gate]
* NBA Rookie rankings. [CNNSI]
Monday, November 30, 2009
The offense is in a state of flux, but the 49ers will make the playoffs on the play of the defense. [SFGate'>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2009/11/30/SP9O1AS7IJ.DTL">SFGate]
Mike Singletary's actions point to him being less stubborn than we think. [SFGate'>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/11/29/SPLD1ART6Q.DTL&feed=rss.gknapp">SFGate]
Mark Purdy flip flops on Alex Smith and apologizes. [SJ'>http://www.mercurynews.com/mark-purdy/ci_13891729?source=rss">SJ Merc]
Singletary was impressed by the leadership from his offensive players. [Press'>http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/11/singletary-impressed-by-49ers-leadership-on-offense.html">Press Democrat]
You know how the Warriors need a true point guard? Well, apparently there's a ton in the NBA today. [SFGate'>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/11/29/SPO61AR5J7.DTL&feed=rss.bjenkins">SFGate]
The bottom 10 plays from the Raiders Thanksgiving loss to the Cowboys. [SFGate'>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/raiders/detail?blogid=11&entry_id=52446">SFGate]
Pay the man. [SFGate'>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/11/27/SPO61AR4BO.DTL&feed=rss.jshea">SFGate]
The A's are showing interest in a Cuban defector, just not the good one. [CC'>http://www.ibabuzz.com/athletics/2009/11/25/2176/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+cctextra%2FEhhe+%28Chin+Music%29">CC Times]
Thursday, November 19, 2009
* The Warriors are playing with a lot more heart now that Jackson is gone. To bad they have played the Cavs and Celtics on the road. [SF Gate]
* Where will Monta end up? How about the Warriors!? [SJ Merc]
* The Chronicle proves once again that they don't know anything about sports. [SF Gate]
Wednesday, November 18, 2009
Warriors lose to the Cavaliers. RT, did they cover? Also, an update of the "Big Meeting" tomorrow between management and Monta Ellis. LeBron James was giving Stephen Curry advice after the game. LBJ a GSW next year? I kid. I kid. [CC'>http://www.ibabuzz.com/warriors/2009/11/18/game-10-3-7-cavaliers-114-warriors-108/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+HoopJunkie+%28Inside+the+Warriors%29">CC Times]
Andrew Bailey won the Rookie of the Year, now the A's need to find one that swings a bat. [SFGate'>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/11/18/SPER1AM2FI.DTL&feed=rss.jshea">SFGate]
Lincecum has to go to court before the judge signs off on his pot ticket. Can't blame the judge for wanting an autograph, right? [SFGate'>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/giants/detail?blogid=22&entry_id=51850">SFGate]
Matt Wilhelm stepped up nicely when he came in for a hurting Takeo Spikes who may still be out Sunday. [Sac'>http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/2009/11/wilhelm-willis.html?mi_rss=49ers%20Blog%20and%20Q%26A">Sac Bee]
No starting QB has been announced for the Raiders, but there's other stuff to talk about, too. [SFGate'>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/raiders/detail?blogid=11&entry_id=51768">SFGate]
Chris Johnson and his quest for 2,000 yards rushing. [NY'>http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/17/chris-johnson-and-the-race-to-2000/">NY Times]
Monday, November 16, 2009
Big news of the day: The Warriors traded Stephen Jackson and Acie Law to the Bobcats for Raja Bell and Vladamir Radmonovic. [CC'>http://www.ibabuzz.com/warriors/2009/11/16/jax-gone-to-charlotte/">CC Times] RT, will have something a little more in-depth later today, but the Warriors definitely are "winners" in this trade. The team could be worse without Jackson from a talent standpoint, but the Warriors weren't going to the playoffs. Sorry Dubs fans. Acie Law and Raja Bell are on expiring deals. Radmonovic has a $6.9M option for next season, while Jackson has $28M over the NEXT three years, not counting 2009. We'll wait and see if RT thinks there is any more wheeling and dealing left.
Kawkami chimes in, from vacation. [SJ'>http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2009/11/16/warriors-do-something-right-trade-jackson-to-charlotte-for-21m-in-future-cap-relief/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+kawakami-merc+%28Talking+Points+with+Tim+Kawakami%29&utm_content=Twitter">SJ Merc]
The Raiders' failures are directly related to their last three 1st round picks: Russell, McFadden and Heyward-Bey. [CC'>http://www.contracostatimes.com/cam-inman/ci_13796938?source=rss">CC Times] I'll even expand on the last 10 Raiders' first round picks: Michael Huff, Fabian Washington, Robert Gallery, Nnamdi Asomugha, Philip Buchanon, Derek Gibson, Seabstian Janikowski. One great player, Asomugha, and the rest is garbage.
Gwen Knapp summarizes the Alex Smith experiment. [SFGate'>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/11/15/SPM01AKIHG.DTL&feed=rss.gknapp">SFGate]
JaMarcus Russell, still bad. [SFGate'>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/11/16/SPSL1AKTL1.DTL&feed=rss.sostler">SFGate]
Stanford is the Bay Area feel good football story. [SJ'>http://www.mercurynews.com/mark-purdy/ci_13792377?source=rss">SJ Merc]
Matt Maiocco presents the 49ers road to a Wild Card slot. [Press'>http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/11/wild-card-spot-within-reach-with-7-games-left.html">Press Democrat]
How an uncapped 2010 affects the 49ers roster. [Sac'>http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/2009/11/upcapped-year-w.html?mi_rss=49ers%20Blog%20and%20Q%26A">Sac Bee]
Friday, November 13, 2009
Kawakami sums it up best: "Josh McDaniels saved the 49ers season…by trading Jay Cutler to the Bears last off-season." [SJ'>http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2009/11/13/49ers-stumble-and-bumble-but-thanks-to-cutler-live-for-another-relevant-day/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+kawakami-merc+%28Talking+Points+with+Tim+Kawakami%29">SJ Merc]
It's about a 50/50 chance Frank Gore will become the 49ers all-time leading rusher. Raise your hand if you knew who the current all time rushing leader was? You're lying. [ProFootballReference'>http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=4592">ProFootballReference]
Matt Wilhelm made some big plays filling in for Take Spikes. [SFGate'>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/11/13/SPNT1AJQEH.DTL&feed=rss.sostler">SFGate]
Post game quotes from both locker rooms. [Press'>http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/11/only-the-appropriate-post-game-quotes.html">Press Democrat]
You know it's bad when Mark Roman gets an INT on you. He hadn't had one since 2006! [SJ'>http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2009/11/12/49ers-intercept-five-passes-in-10-6-victory-over-bears/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+49ersHotRead+%2849ers+Hot+Read%29">SJ Merc]
The loss was not entirely Cutler's fault. [NFP'>http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Diner-morning-news-Its-not-all-Cutlers-fault.html">NFP]
You want to watch the Raiders on Sunday? Well, you better buy a ticket. [Sac'>http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/raiders/archives/027035.html?mi_rss=Raiders%20Blog%20and%20Q%26A">Sac Bee]
John Shea tries to forecast the bad contracts that will be offered this off season. [SFGate'>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/11/13/SP4A1AJG3C.DTL&feed=rss.jshea">SFGate]
Sharks blow a two goal lead and then lose in shoot out. Whatever, wake me when it's the playoffs. [SJ'>http://blogs.mercurynews.com/sharks/2009/11/13/mclellan-more-philosophical-than-disappointed-as-two-goal-lead-evaporates-and-sharks-lose-shootout/">SJ Merc]
Thursday, November 12, 2009
* Bears-Niners! It looks like I am not the only one who likes the Niners in this one. [SF Gate]
* Apparently, the Niners are having a bad season because of little mistakes. I thought not having a quarterback was a HUGE mistake!? [SJ Merc]
* Some Raiders lineman is doing well ... besides his Mom and Dad, nobody cares. [CC Times]
* Koski and I came up with a new plan for the Warriors yesterday. Instead of trading Jackson, they should keep him, have the second worst record in the league (no place suck like New Jersey), draft John Wall out of Kentucky and trade Curry to the Knicks for the top pick for the next four years. I really don't see how this does not make the team better in 2013. [SJ Merc]
* TK thinks Curry will be fine. Agreed. [SJ Merc]
Wednesday, November 11, 2009
The most over-hyped non-story of the week: Vernon Davis' supposed bulletin board material, “The guys up front, I think we can destroy them. I don’t see anything spectacular about their front line.” Whatever. It's two teams without a winning record playing in the middle of November, not Joe Namath before Super Bowl III. Retarded. [SJ'>http://www.blogger.com/%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%9CThe%20guys%20up%20front,%20I%20think%20we%20can%20destroy%20them.%20I%20don%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99t%20see%20anything%20spectacular%20about%20their%20front%20line.%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%9D">SJ Merc]
Is there anything Stanford football announcer, Bob Murphy can't do? [SF'>http://www.mercurynews.com/mark-purdy/ci_13758708?source=rss">SF Merc]
WTF?!?!?! Were in the second week of the NBA season and the All Star ballots are out? [SFGate'>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/warriors/detail?blogid=39&entry_id=51416">SFGate]
You know what's not helping the Warriors trade Stephen Jackson? Everybody saying the need to trade him. [SFGate'>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/11/10/SP2S1AHKAI.DTL&feed=rss.sostler">SFGate] P.S. It's not going to help.
Baggarly sees Molina's chances of returning to the Giants somewhere between remote and unlikely. [SJ'>http://blogs.mercurynews.com/extrabaggs/2009/11/10/hot-stove-notes-molina-is-type-a-personality-a-pudgy-alternative-holliday-vs-bay/">SJ Merc]
Dan Boyle, last night's hero. [SFGate'>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/11/10/sports/s220217S31.DTL">FGate]
Tuesday, November 10, 2009
* Let me get this straight ... if Stephen Jackson distributes the ball and plays the big point guard the team needs to have Monta play his natural position at point guard, the Warriors are really good!? I have no idea who would have thought that was a good idea. [SF Gate]
* Am I the only one that finds it ironic that Stephen Jackson's agent is ripping the only coach who could make his client look good enough to get a ridiculous long term contract? [SF Gate]
* Jackson will be gone in a few weeks. Challenge. [Yahoo Sports]
* The Dominican Republic is a really shady place. [SF Gate]
* Chiefs v. Raiders this weekend. Yikes. [CC Times]
* At what point can Singletary say "we are sticking with the quarterback that gives us the best chance to take the highest rated quarterback in next year's draft" [CC Times]
Monday, November 9, 2009
Ugly 49ers loss yesterday with 4 turnovers leading to 24 points for the Titans. Officially, MAYDAY! [SJ'>http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2009/11/08/singletarys-49ers-grappling-with-failure-sprinting-into-desperation-time/">SJ Merc]
Matt Maiocco breaks down each turnover concludes that Alex Smith's eyes betrayed him. [Press'>http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/11/breakdown-of-the-49ers-four-back-breaking-turnovers.html">Press Democrat]
Jerry Mac looks ahead at the Raiders' remaining schedule. [CC'>http://www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraiders/2009/11/08/the-final-eight/">CC Times]
Things aren't too friendly between the NFLPA and the League. [CC'>http://www.contracostatimes.com/cam-inman/ci_13733047?source=rss">CC Times]
Gwen Knapp doesn't like Thurdsday NFL games. [SFGate'>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/11/09/SPHC1AH6CV.DTL&feed=rss.gknapp">SFGate]
Mike Lombardi's First Half thoughts. [NFP'>http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/DMN-Things-I-know-at-the-halfway-point.html">NFP]
Lombardi mentions the 49ers are in a tough spot and I tend to agree. Before the losing streak, I was content to wait out Hill and let him manage. Hill's inability to make all the NFL throws (15 yard outs, especially) caused him to be benched. Smith has a better arm, but makes too many turnovers. I was close to dead set on not taking a QB with one of the two 1st round picks next season, but unless Smith shows A LOT more down the stretch, I'll take Bradford, McCoy or Claussen next April.
Names being linked to the A's: Chone Figgins, Vlad Guerrero. [CC'>http://www.ibabuzz.com/chinmusic/2009/11/06/as-tied-to-chone-figgins-vladimir-guerrero-in-speculation/">CC Times]
Angel Villalona's trial should begin soon, maybe? God bless the USA court system (weird, right?) [SJ'>http://blogs.mercurynews.com/extrabaggs/2009/11/08/three-to-testify-against-villalona-in-murder-case-update-on-wagner-mateo/">SJ Merc]
RT, how does it feel when the Warriors' season is over five games into the schedule? [SJ'>http://blogs.mercurynews.com/warriors/2009/11/08/what-me-worry-warriors-107-kings-120/">SJ Merc]
MTII's post game wrap including: Cap'n Jack no likey Omri Casspi. [CC'>http://www.ibabuzz.com/warriors/2009/11/09/game-5-kings-120-warriors-107/">CC Times]
Friday, November 6, 2009
Lincecum got busted. I hope he wins the Cy Young even more now. [SFGate'>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/11/05/SPCL1AG123.DTL">SFGate]
Baggarly with some clever taunts Lincecum may hear in the future. [SJ'>http://blogs.mercurynews.com/extrabaggs/2009/11/05/the-real-impact-of-tim-lincecums-marijuana-bust/">SJ Merc]
Tsk, tsk, tsk, Ray Ratto, you're old and out of touch. [SFGate'>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ratto/detail?blogid=64&entry_id=51108">SFGate]
Ratto reminds Raiders fans that they have not sunk as low as possible. [SFGate'>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/11/06/SPRU1AFPRO.DTL&feed=rss.rratto">SFGate]
2008 First round pick, Kentwan Balmer, will see increased playing time over the next few weeks. [Press'>http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/11/rjf-balmer-fill-backup-roles-on-d-line.html">Press Democrat]
Kevin Lynch's plan on implementing a spread offense. Slowly. [SFGate'>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?blogid=45&entry_id=51097">SFGate]
Usually, teams like to lay low on a bye week. The Raiders can't help themselves. [CC'>http://www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraiders/2009/11/05/now-turns-up-pressure-on-cable/">CC Times]
Warriors-Clippers preview. (Everybody, but RT yawns.) [SFGate'>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/11/06/SPCL1AFV8H.DTL&feed=rss.jshea">SFGate]
Sharks, lose? Sharks lose. [SFGate'>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/11/05/sports/s191645S70.DTL">SFGate]
Women's soccer, dirtier than you think. [Deadspin'>http://deadspin.com/5398475/okay-ill-be-the-one-to-say-itthis-is-hot">Deadspin]
Wednesday, November 4, 2009
Hey Warriors fans! Are you ready for some Anthony Randolph? Too bad. [SJ'>http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2009/11/03/why-warriors-anthony-randolph-is-struggling-to-get-consistent-minutes/">SJ Mercs]
It's game three and Scott Ostler is calling it a "must win?" Stupid. [SFGate'>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/11/04/SPGS1AE8H6.DTL&feed=rss.sostler">SFGate]
Ray Ratto's one-year assessment of Singletary. [SFGate'>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/11/04/SPJR1AEIDM.DTL&feed=rss.rratto">SFGate]
Kawakami says the second half of the season will test Singletary's abilities. [SJ'>http://www.mercurynews.com/tim-kawakami/ci_13699372?source=rss">SJ Merc]
Everybody's asking why the 49ers didn't spread out their offense against Indy. Matt Maiocco has your answer. [Press'>http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/11/why-49ers-didnt-spread-it-out-and-a-look-at-o-lines-play.html">Press Democrat]
John Shea with predictable hind sight. [SFGate'>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/11/04/SPJR1AEKL6.DTL&feed=rss.jshea">SFGate]
Watch some young A's in the Arizona Fall League on the MLB Network. [CC'>http://www.ibabuzz.com/chinmusic/2009/11/03/desme-weeks-to-play-in-televised-arizona-fall-league-showcase/">CC Times]
Tuesday, November 3, 2009
* It's funny that the Raiders are thinking about firing Cable because of his off the field issues. I would fire him for his on-the-field issues. [SF Gate]
* His defense did not give up a touchdown pass to Peyton Manning and almost beat the best team in the NFL. The week before his team was getting blown out on the road and they had a chance to tie or win the game at the end. However, Kawakami wonders if Singletary can coach. Personally, I think he has a legitimate question here. [SJ Merc]
* Besides Cam "Dwight Howard can dunk hard so the Magic are better than the Lakers" Inman, who cares what Lane Kiffin thinks about the Raiders? [CC Times]
* The Giants have developed one major league hitter from within the organization in the last 15 years. Makes sense to promote one of the minor league coaches to the Giants hitting coach. They are killing it in the Giants building these days! It is time to throw a parade! [SF Gate]
* Would anybody be "shocked" if the Phillies won the World Series? Seriously. [CNNSI]
* Azubuike will start. In other news, Nellie is still playing Stephen Jackson so who cares. [SJ Merc]
Friday, October 30, 2009
The 49ers might open up the passing game a little. Maybe. [SJ'>http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2009/10/29/jimmy-raye-maybe-more-passing-in-49ers-offense-just-maybe/">SJ Merc]
Also from Kawakami, Crabtree is a game changer for the 49ers. [SJ'>http://www.mercurynews.com/tim-kawakami/ci_13673815?source=rss">SJ Merc]
JaMarcus Russell showed up to work at 6:30am on Wednesday, setting his own personal best. Next stop, Championship! [SFGate'>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/10/29/SP4P1ACGJE.DTL">SFGate]
Niners biggest challenge this week? Contain Peyton Manning. [SJ'>http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2009/10/29/49ers-respect-challenge-of-containing-peyton-manning/">SJ Merc]
Louis Murphy and Chris Johnson are hurting. [CC'>http://www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraiders/2009/10/29/murphy-johnson-cant-finish-practice/">CC Times]
The Crabtree tampering case is still moving forward. Yay? [ProFootballTalk'>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/29/crabtree-tampering-case-is-still-moving-forward/">ProFootballTalk]
It's time for Cal basketball to step up. Isn't that what they've been telling the football team? [SFGate'>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/10/29/SP4P1ACGJB.DTL">SFGate]
Will RT be watching Curry v. Nash tonight? I think so. [SFGate'>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/10/29/SP4P1ACGJV.DTL">SFGate]
Ray Ratto gets red-ass about the Sharks. [SFGate'>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/10/29/SPEG1ACCAT.DTL">SFGate]
Thursday, October 29, 2009
* I love how the chronicle focuses on the fact that Morrow missed a three pointer and not the fact that taking Curry out was the reason the Warriors lost. Good stuff [SF Gate]
* The Warriors need a coach that is going to teach the young guys something, anything. Until then, just keep shooting [SJ Merc]
* Best team in the Bay Area just keeps winning. [SF Gate]
* Raiders teammates are backing up Russell which is why teams need coaches and management. [CC TImes]
* Willis no longer carries the green dot. [SF Gate]
Wednesday, October 28, 2009
Warriors season begins tonight...
And they COULD*** make the playoffs. [SFGate'>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/10/28/SPLJ1ABCJD.DTL&feed=rss.bjenkins">SFGate]
How many of us will actually be going to games? Not counting RT. [SJ'>http://www.mercurynews.com/mark-purdy/ci_13656977?source=rss">SJ Merc]
Live Chat with Marcus Thompson of the CC Times before the game tonight. [CC'>http://www.ibabuzz.com/warriors/2009/10/27/warriors-pre-game-live-chat-wednesday-night-at-630/">CC Times]
Adam Lauridsen analogizes the 2009-2010 Warriors and the Bay Bridge. [SJ'>http://blogs.mercurynews.com/warriors/2009/10/28/things-fall-apart-2/">SJ Merc]
Everybody's talking about Quarterbacks today. [SFGate'>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/10/28/SPLJ1ABCHN.DTL&feed=rss.rratto">SFGate]
The Raiders and 49ers are in limbo. [CC'>http://www.contracostatimes.com/cam-inman/ci_13647414?source=rss&nclick_check=1">CC Times]
The 49ers' offensive line, which has played soooo great lately, got a little thinner. [Press'>http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/10/line-takes-hit-with-pashos-going-on-ir.html">Press Democrat]
See inside the mind of a Raiders fan. Q&A with Matt Gutierrez. [Sac'>http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/raiders/archives/026557.html?mi_rss=Raiders%20Blog%20and%20Q%26A">Sac Bee]
Jerry Mac, the eternal optimist. "At least penalties are down." [CC'>http://www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraiders/2009/10/27/at-least-penalties-are-down/">CC Times]
Tuesday, October 27, 2009
Not surprisingly, the Warriors’ season was a nightmare. The happy days of the Baron-led Warriors was long gone and the team lacked true leadership and an identity. The ghost of Monta Ellis’s injured ankle hung over the team for most of the season and, apparently, scared the team into playing no defense for most of the season.
However, it wasn’t all terrible. As I said in last year’s preview, out of Wright, Randolph or Bellinelli, one of them was going to show signs of greatness. True enough, Wright got hurt, Bellinelli was given no direction (or coaching) and continued to tread water in the pool of mediocrity and Randolph showed displayed flashes of greatness. The only person I know who loves the NBA as much as I do gave some very high praise to Randolph last week.
If nothing else, the 2008-2009 Warriors’ season provided us with two major positives:
1) Randolph has the potential to be an All-Star
2) Monta Ellis showed signs of his old greatness
As you should all should know by now, having two “IT” players is basically a requirement for a team to contend for a title.
* Stephen Curry: As I go through this preview I am going to remind all the bandwagon I-became-a-Warriors-fan-in-2007 fans (aka “dubs” fans) about how good we have it in 2009-2010. Before Chris Mullin became the GM, the Warriors would have taken Jordan Hill in this year’s draft. Instead the Warriors made the best pick possible by taking the dynamic guard from Davidson with the number 6 pick. The name of the game in the NBA draft lottery is take the best player available no matter who you have on your roster and that is exactly what the Warriors did. There are really only two possible outcomes for Curry.
1) He becomes the second coming of Steve Nash and we get to sit back and watch some amazing basketball over the next 12 years.
2) He becomes the second coming of Dale Ellis. (Dubs fans, he was a sharp shooter who brought nothing to the table except quality three-point shooting.)
* Amare Stoudemire is not a Warrior: Koski told me over the weekend how much he hates the Warriors management. I told him that I am willing to give them a chance but if they trade for Amare, I am done. The bottom line is the Warriors have a lot of young talent and they will need to trade some of it to take the next step but the time to do it not now. The fact that the current management had the discipline to not mortgage the future for a quick fix, is a good sign.
* Captain Jack to Stephen Jackson: If you ask anyone who knows anything about basketball, the Warriors need to have a tall point guard who can guard the likes of Kobe and Brandon Roy while Monta plays shooting guard. Amazingly enough, the Warriors already have that player and his name was Captain Jack. However, the clock struck midnight on this relationship and or fearless leader has turned back into a pumpkin. A starting lineup of Capt. Jack, Monta, Randolph, Ronny Turiaf and Andres Biedrins is pretty darn intimidating. Unfortunately, we will never get to see it.
* Don Nelson is still the coach: Like George W. Bush in December last year, Don Nelson doesn’t care anymore and is already looking towards retirement. As a result, a team oozing with talent and looking for guidance has only two “role models” – 1) the man mentioned above and 2) a coach who drinks scotch before games and who will tell the young players “just keep shooting”. By the all-star break, we will be mentioning Cohan’s decision to not let Nelson go in the same breath as the Corey Maggette signing.
For those of you not familiar with my preview style, I will talk about what the Warriors should do and my predictions as opposed to what they will do (which will undoubtedly not be what I suggest)
The Stating Line-up
Point Guard: Stephen Jackson
He is under contract and as long as the Warriors force him to honor that contract (see what I said about the Al Harrington situation last year which applies to the Stephen Jackson situation this year), he still gives the Warriors a chance to be successful this year. Monta needs to play shooting guard and Stephen Jackson is the perfect player to get the offense started for the Warriors unconventional backcourt. Not to mention, he can still guard the likes of Kobe Bryant and Manu Ginobili.
Shooting Guard: Monta Ellis
To be clear, Monta should be playing the same role AI played for the Sixers in the late 90s and early 2000s. For all the dubs fans out there, AI was the first under 6’4” player to play carry the burden of scoring and lead his team to the finals. Monta is cut from the same cloth and there is no reason that he cannot do the same thing AI did if the Warriors surround Monta with the right supporting cast.
(I can’t be the only person who thinks this backcourt makes perfect sense)
Small Forward: Anthony Randolph
If the Warriors do nothing else this year, the one thing they need to do is play Randolph 40 minutes a night. Period. He will have nights where is the best player on the court and other nights where even the most optimistic Warrior fan will think he will never live up to the hype. Either way, he needs to be allowed to play and gain confidence from his successes and learn from his mistakes.
Power Forward: Ronny Turiaf
There is a better chance of the sun rising in the west then there is of Turiaf starting at power forward on a Don Nelson team. I cannot help but agree with this move by Don Nelson. There is nothing that drags a team down like an unselfish, hard-working, defensive rebounding power forward in your starting frontcourt. Smart move Mr. Nelson … your genius knows no bounds.
(I cannot wait for the Cam Inman article in 2011 when he calls the next Warriors coach a genius for playing Turiaf and Biedrins side by side. Of course, I might be giving Inman too much credit)
Center: Andris Biedrins
The definition of a rock solid NBA player is Andris Biedrins. The only question is how many years can the Warriors count on him to be a 13-11 guy who plays great defense and always seems to get better right when you think he has plateaued? 10 more years? 12? I am starting the campaign that says anyone who bad mouths Biedrins at a Warriors game should spend a night in the drunk tank at the county jail.
* Corey Maggette: It is about time we started calling Maggette “Mr. 2nd Quarter”. All Maggette cares about are his numbers and Nelson finally started to realize that last year. As a result, Maggette is the perfect player to play during garbage time (aka the 2nd quarter) in an NBA game. He could score 16 points in 12 minutes and with 12 of the 16 coming from the line. The Warriors would win at least 5 more games just for the fact that Maggette would keep them in games they would normally roll over in. I love this plan.
(Of course, Nelson will think Maggette is playing a great game by halftime, leave him in during crunch time and Maggette will stop driving to the basket because he will have scored his 23.5 points and start shooting fade away jump shots because he does not want to get hurt. Who says NBA players are selfish!?)
* Anthony Morrow: What is the exact opposite of Biedrins? Anthony Morrow. The only thing I know for certain is that he will have night where he has a hard time guarding a flag pole let alone an NBA player. However, the combination of his offensive skill and hustle probably puts him in front of Kelenna Azibuke. I don’t think Morrow is destined for greatness, but he could prove to be a legitimate candidate for the 6th man of the year award.
* Kelenna Azibuike: What can you say about the Wizard of Azibuike? He does everything well and nothing great. While that description is to be considered a negative comment when talking about a starter, it is a compliment for a reserve. There isn’t a Warrior fan who should be upset when he comes on to the floor.
* Brandan Wright: Let’s play Jeopardy –
Answer: For the Warriors to make the playoffs in the 09-10, this player needs to have a breakout season.
Question: Who is Brandan Wright?
In other news, Brandan Wright might miss the season with a shoulder injury.
* Acie Law IV: Allow me to make this quick … Acie Law is a poor man’s Marco Bellinelli.
(and yes, I am very proud of that reference)
* Mikki Moore: The Warriors have to be the only team in NBA history that replaces a skinny power forward who can barely shoot or rebound with a skinny power forward who can barely shoot or rebound. There has to be a player in Germany right now that is 6’10” 265 lbs that can at least rebound. Seriously.
* Speedy Claxton/C.J. Watson/Devean George: Every minute these guys play is a wasted minute. None of them are going to be an integral part of a Warrior playoff team now or in the future, so why play them when some of the other guys need experience.
(Over/Under on how many minutes C.J. Watson averages this year is 15.5. I hate that I love this team)
The Warriors are not going to make the playoffs. However, this is the second best Warriors team (based on talent) the Warriors have had to start a season in the last 14 years. Seriously, look it up if you don’t believe me. While Dubs fans will complain about how terrible the team is, Warriors fans will get to watch some amazing basketball at the Oracle, where the Warriors will be tough to beat. However, young teams struggle on the road and the Warriors will be no different. Once again, I will be too optimistic with my prediction but I am standing behind it. Same exact predication as last year:
Finish: 40-42, 4th in the Pacific and 10th in the Western Conference.
Happy Warriors Season!
The one thing I will say about the 2009-2010 NBA season is that it will be the most boring NBA season in recent memory. The Lakers are far and away the best team and there is no reason they don’t sleep walk to the title.
1. Boston (2)
2. Philadelphia (6)
3. Toronto (8)
4. New Jersey
5. New York
1. Cleveland (1)
2. Chicago (4)
1. Orlando (3)
2. Atlanta (5)
3. Charlotte (7)
1. Denver (2)
2. Portland (5)
1. San Antonio (3)
2. New Orleans (4)
3. Dallas (7)
1. LA Lakers (1)
2. Phoenix (6)
3. LA Clippers (8)
4. The Warriors
LA Lakers over Cleveland
Bold Prediction: The Lakers win 70 games
First lets sum up everything else.
* Raiders need to draft a quarterback
* Alex Smith is good, Jeff Garcia would be better
* The Giants need a hitter but will overpay for Holiday instead
* The A's need a new GM
* The Sharks are better than ever and the only team worth rooting for.
* Don Nelson is excited for the season ... I am excited for his resignation. [SF Gate]
* According to some the Warriors are the second worst team in the West. This writer would be a good example of a Dub fan (aka someone who has been watching NBA basketball for less than 5 years and thinks this Warriors team is really bad when really it is one of the best Warrior teams in the last 14 years. You can read my preview tomorrow) [SJ Merc]
* Who says the Clippers are cursed? [ESPN]
* Still the best sports information site on the internet. [CNNSI]
* You know whats funny, I have been calling for this lineup change for over a year. [CC Times]
* Everyone agrees, the Warriors are not going to the playoffs [ESPN]
Monday, October 26, 2009
The 49ers offense looked terrible in the first half, coming off a bye week, so Singletary switched things up at half time and Alex Smith looked really good almost a yer to the day after Singletary pulled JT O'Sullivan in favor of Shaun Hill. [SJ'>http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2009/10/26/alex-smith-once-again-hes-the-49ers-last-best-hope/">SJ Merc]
Gwen Knapp says Smith had nothing to lose, but coming off the becnh hurt his ability to lead the two minute offense. [SFGate'>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/10/26/SPNU1AAJ5B.DTL&feed=rss.gknapp">SFGate]
Maiocco asks if this was all in the script? [Press'>http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/10/is-49ers-qb-situation-following-the-script.html">Press Democrat]
Darrius Heyward-Bey: Seven games played, 4 receptions 64 yards.
Michael Crabtree: One game played, 5 receptions 56 yards.
The Raiders got blasted and everybody owned up to it, except one. JaMarcus Russell. Nuff said. [SFGate'>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/10/25/SPNU1AAIME.DTL">SFGate]
Big Mac is back! Weird. [SFGate'>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/10/26/SPNU1AAI0L.DTL&feed=rss.rratto">SFGate]
More Big Mac stuff. Inman says Big Mac's return will provide great theater. I'm not so sure that "No Comment" qualifies, but what do I know? [CC'>http://www.contracostatimes.com/cam-inman/ci_13644286?source=rss&nclick_check=1">CC Times]
John Shea is optimistic the Dodgers will crumble next season. RT and I aren't quite so sure. [SFGate'>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/10/25/SP0I1AAB90.DTL&feed=rss.jshea">SFGate]
Friday, October 23, 2009
You want a divorce? Okay, you're FIRED! [The Big Lead]
FOX has now opened the flood gates on drunk waterfall jumping. [Deadspin]
Bruce Jenkins states the obvious, which apparently eluded Mike Scioscia, Darren Oliver sucks. [SFGate]
It's all Nick Swisher's fault! Not really, but NY media has to blame someone. [ESPN]
Does anybody care about the Napa D.A.? Anybody? [SFGate]
Despite the non-charges, Mark Purdy is skeptical of Tom Cable's innocence. [SJ Merc]
Kevin Lynch sets the over under on Crabtree catches on Sunday at 2.5. I'll take the over. At least one bubble screen and one quick slant per half. [SFGate]
Stephen Curry wins a starting spot by default. [SJ Merc]
Thursday, October 22, 2009
* Guess what the Niners need a passing game. In other words, the world doesn't need a third world war. [National Football Post]
* Wait a second, I thought JaMarcus Russell looked good last weekend!?! How dare you attack the savior of the Raider franchise! [ESPN]
* I would be too positive too if I had his contract. What does he care if he sucks? [SF Gate]
* If you can break a subordinates jaw while on the job and not get charged than we are looking at whole new way of doing business in CA. As a small business owner, I am in favor of Tom Cable avoiding charges. [SJ Merc]
* The newest problem with the Warriors. HINT: It is not winning too much. [SJ Merc]
* The scouts agree ... the Warriors are going to be great this year!! [CNNSI]
* The biggest winner of this years NLCS is ... [MLB]
Wednesday, October 21, 2009
Warriors' pre-season is almost over. Yawn. [SJ Merc]
Should fans cheer or boo Crabtree? [SFGate] Really? How about this, if he plays well, cheer him and if he plays poorly, boo him?
Kawakami says the pressure is going to build on Shaun Hill over the next few weeks. Alex Smith, be ready. [SJ Merc]
What's taking the Napa D.A. so long to decide whether to file charges in the Tom Cable/Randy Hanson incident? [SJ Merc]
Q&A with Gary Kubiak for this Sunday's 49ers' game against the Texans. [Press Democrat] Who asked this question? With your corners, do you stay on one side or do you have Dunta Robinson shadow the top guy? Did they expect an honest answer? Why not ask which downs they plan on blitzing, too?
After describing the Giants-Raiders game as scrimmage-like, Antonio Pierce is now complimenting the Raiders after they beat the Eagles. [Sac Bee] Gee, thanks for beating our division rival. You're not as bad as I said you were. Could you also beat Washington and Dallas?
Bud Selig recently said he has no plans on expanding instant replay in MLB. Then the "worst call of all time" happened. [Yahoo!] Your move, Bud.
Tuesday, October 20, 2009
* Thank god the Giants don't have a closer that just tries to throw the ball 100 mph and really has no idea where the ball is going. Oh wait ... [SF Gate]
* Let the ass kissing of Michael Crabtree begin. I really hate the Chronicle. [SF Gate]
* You want to know what the lock of the week is ... the Jets because there is no way the Raiders can win two games in a row. [SF Gate]
* One of the better teams in hockey got worked last night by my favorite team ... San Jose Sharks. [SJ Merc]
* Jackson promises peace against Bryant because he wants to play for the Lakers. [CC Times]
Monday, October 12, 2009
The 49ers' world came crashing down around them yesterday and Singletary boiled over. [SJ Merc]
Is it a good thing for the 49ers that Singletary draws most of the media attention? [SFGate]
The Raiders are a complete mess. As Gwen Knapp notes, JMR attempted his lowest number of passes this season despite being utterly blown out from the get go. [SFGate]
How bad was the loss for the 49ers? Worst loss at Candlestick. Ever. [Press Democrat]
Tiger, Tiger Woods y'all! [SFGate]
Friday, October 9, 2009
* Crabtree is not going to suit up on Sunday so the question is ... what is the over under on how many times the TV goes show him in street clothes? My number is 8. [SF Gate]
* This is an awesome video clip of Mike Singletary (you have to love the Journey in the background) [NFL.com]
* The Raiders are stupid. [SJ Merc]
* Looks like talking a risk might pay off for the Sharks. Is anyone listening in the Giants Building?? [SJ Merc]
* Is Randolph ready to save the franchise? He better be. [CC Times]
Thursday, October 8, 2009
* Now that Crabtree is officially a 49er, can we start talking about how big of a steal he was at the 10 spot in last year’s draft?
* How is it possible that in 2009 baseball fans cannot watch the official broadcast of a division series game online? Allow me to apologize – you can watch the games as long as you don’t live in the United States. (Seriously, I am not making this up.)
* What do women do on Sundays during the football season?
* Multiple Choice – Which one of the following Bay Area team is the best team to root for?
A. Oakland Raiders
B. Cal Bear Football
C. San Francisco Giants
D. Golden State Warriors
* Just in case you were wondering, Stanford has a really good football team.
* If I told you at the start of the season that the pitcher with the second lowest ERA in the league and who led the league in strikeouts would finish third in the CY Young voting, wouldn’t you call me insane? Watch it happen.
* There is no way the Warriors cannot get close to equal value for Monta Ellis.
* Last year, I wrote an article on how NBA GMs should handle players that demand a trade. The Warriors completely blew it with Al Harrington so what do they do with their second chance with Stephen Jackson? Current odds are -500 on them trading him for a player that I cannot stand. (For those of you non-gamblers, -500 means bet $500 to win $100)
* Who cares what women do on Sundays during the football season?
* Answer to the multiple-choice question: A – When they leave town, you can change allegiances to a winning franchise and nobody will blame you.
* Is there anything worse than the “new” trains that Cal Train uses during commute hours? Is there ANYBODY on the planet who would rather face a fellow commuter rather than have his/her back to him/her? And yes, I am writing this on the train while playing footsy with a total stranger.
* Gambling Advice for the Week: During the NFL season, take the team that is playing the team I picked. Your Welcome
The 49es were the winners in the Crabtree holdout saga. [SFGate]
Kawakami just can't help but applaud the 49ers recently, and it's killing him. [Merc]
Maiocco asks why Eugene Parker was nowhere to be seen at Crabtree's press conference? [Press Democrat] Per Maiocco's tweet, Hammer played a larger role than escape route director.
Football Outsiders' Walkthrough looks at JaMarcus Russell's terrible completion percentage(It's after the Sharper Image section), including this gem:
Because of three interceptions, his quarterback rating on first down is 10.0, far lower than the rating you get just by throwing incompletions. (If you throw nothing but incomplete passes, your rating is 39.6.)Jerry Mac's news and notes after Wednsday's Raiders practice. [CC Times]
Bruce Jenkins offers some power hitter options for the Giants. B.J. Upton intrigues me. [SFGate]
The Giants' Double-A team is moving to Richmond, VA and they are looking for a new nickname, please save them from becoming the Flatheads. [Merc]
The A's busy offseason and what lies ahead. [SFGate]
Monta Ellis injures his ankle in last nights game. Yes, it that is his scooter ankle. [CC Times]
WFB( Warriors Fast Break) with player by player performance breakdown. [Merc]
Wednesday, October 7, 2009
* Crabtree is actually going to play for the Niners!? It's a miracle! [ESPN]
* I have never agreed with Ray Ratto in the past but I actually agree with him here [SF Gate]
* Which incident do you think the Commissioner is referring to? [CC Times]
* I will admit it - I love Warriors basketball and Tim Kawakami does a great job reporting on it. More on Monta Ellis and Stephen Curry. [SJ Merc]
* Its never to early to discuss what players the Giants will either fail to sign or overpay for. Welcome to the off-season. Also, please don't sign Jermaine Dye. [SF Gate]
* I don't know about you but I am excited for the Sharks slow start ... they may be saving their energy for the playoffs for once. Go Sharks! [SJ Merc]
* Sometimes sports and sex can sell together. [ESPN]
Monday, October 5, 2009
Tidbits from the 49ers' mauling of the St. Louis Rams. [SFGate]
The Raiders are _______. Cam Inman chose "lacking leadership and offense" for today's column. [CC Times]
Some Niners were skeptical about the pink breast cancer awareness cleats, but it was only momentary. [SFGate]
The blame game is about to begin and heads will roll. Not Al Davis' head, of course. [SFGate]
The tsunami in Samoa hit close to home for Isaac Sopoaga, but he was relieved to hear his family was safe. [Merc]
Giants season - Over. [Merc]
A's? Been over. [CC Times]
Warriors played their first exhibition game last night against the Clippers. [CC Times]
After a disappointing opening game, the Sharks went to town on the Ducks. [Merc]
Friday, October 2, 2009
- Bengals -5.5 @ Browns
The browns are terrible and the Bengals are on fluke away from being 3-0
The Bengals score 14 points and win by 14.
Last week, I went outside of the box and won with the Bengals so this week's outside of the box pick is ...
- Cowboys -3 @ Broncos
Everyone is down on the Boys except for me. The Broncos are not going 4-0 and I believe this is the week the Cowboys start clicking on offense. Boys win by 10.
- Patriots -1 v. Ravens
Wait, I get Brady, Moss, Belichek at home against a team that is trying to prove the dynasty is over!?!? I would not have bet against the Niners in 1991 and I will not bet against the Patriots in 2009.
- Titans -3 @ Jaguars
The Jaguars got lucky and beat a terrible Houston defense last week. The Titans defense is legit, not superhuman like last year, but legit.
- Giants -9 @ Chiefs
Are the Giants one of the five best teams in the NFL? Yes. Are the Chiefs one of the five worst? Yes. I'll gladly give single digit points.
- Chargers +6.5 @ Steelers
Philip Rivers is the new Dan Fouts and the Chargers offense runs through him. Without Polamalu, Antonion Gates, Vincent Jackson and Darren Sproles all day.
Week 1 Results
Koski: 49ers +6.5 @ ARI, Cowboys -6 @ TB, Vikings -4.5 @CLE
RT: Packers -3.5 v. CHI, Patriots -11 v. BUF, Chargers -9 @ OAK
Week 2 Results
Koski: Raiders+3 @KC, Packers-9.5v. CIN, Chargers-3v. Ravens
RT: Titans-6.5 @ Texans, Steelers-1@CHI, Panthers+6.5 @ ATL
Week 3 Results
Koski: Giants -6.5 @ Buccaneers, Jets -1 @ Titans, 49ers +6.5 @ Vikings
RT: Texans -3.5 v. Jaguars, Lions +65 v. Redskins, Bengals +4 v. Steelers
Wednesday, September 30, 2009
Here's a Michael Crabtree update. [Twitter]
No plans to make any roster moves with Gore on the shelf for a couple weeks. [Sac Bee]
The Raiders bring back a familiar face to return kicks. [CC Times]
Is it good or bad that Bengie Molina could be the best San Francisco Giants catcher of all time? [SFGate]
Kawakami supports bringing back Sabean-Bochy, but be sure to add fine print. [Merc]
Do you think Bruce Jenkins knows the Warriors SBNation site is called, Golden State of Mind? I say no. [SFGate]
Cam Inman says Ellis and Jackson are brats. [CC Times]
Kawakami says Ellis and Jackson are smarter than management. [Merc]
Marcus Thompson's Camp Notes from Day 1. [CC Times]
For the Sharks' newest #1 fan, RT. Ray Ratto rains on your parade. [SFGate]
Tuesday, September 29, 2009
* I said it at the start of the season and I will say it now ... betting against the Raiders this season will earn you a better return than the S&P 500. (Especially, if you bet big after they win). In other news, the Raiders are terrible. [SF Gate]
* I would pay a decent amount of money to be a fly in the interrogation with the Tom Cable and the Napa Police ...
Napa Police: "So if you didn't break his jaw, how did he break it?"
Tom Cable: "He must have fallen down the stairs."
I cannot get enough of this story [CC Times]
* Is a vote of confidence from Tom Cable really a vote of confidence? [CC Times]
* Gore is going to be out three weeks. However, Shaun Hill is perfectly healthy so the Niners are still have a one dimensional offense. [CNNSI]
* To be clear, if you lose by more than 30 in a season, you no longer have any right to be considered a top 10 team. [ESPN]
* What is more ironic? A) The fact that Stephen Jackson's contract is too big to be traded or B) The fact that Stephen Jackson's best chance to win over the life of his contract is probably with the Warriors because none of the win now teams want him. (However, Danny Ferry continues to prove that he is one of the worst GMs in NBA history so there is a chance he would trade for Stephan Jackson) [SJ Merc]
* Keeping Bochy makes sense but Sabaen might just be too gun shy to build a World Series contender. [SJ Merc]
Monday, September 28, 2009
Kawkami's recap of both Bay Area teams' Sundays. [Merc] I agree with TK's assessment of the 49ers game. Brett Favre made a perfect throw that 90% of NFL QB's wouldn't make and Greg Lewis made an amazing catch that 90% of NFL WRs wouldn't make. Don't complain about the last series when the Niners ran three times and punted. Everyone wants the take hindsight and say if they had only gotten a first down by passing, they would have won the game. What would you say if they tried to pass and threw an incomplete pass leaving the Vikings with 40 extra seconds AND a timeout for the final drive? You'd ask why Singletary didn't just run the ball. A gritty performance on the road, losing Frank Gore on the first play and not converting a third down all day, and Minnesota still needed a miracle play to win. I didn't see any of the Raiders game due to black out related reasons, but JaMarcus Russell is getting closer to bust-ville every game.
The final drive through the eyes of Brett Favre. [SFGate]
Cam Inman asks, Is the bloom already off Cal's rose? I answer, Yes. [CC Times]
You know you're bad when even Scott Ostler can tee off on your franchise. [SFGate]
Mark Purdy on what the 49ers should remember from yesterday's loss. [Merc]
In Baggs' post game notes from last night, only three SF Giants have got 200 hits in a season. [Merc]
John Shea checks in on how ex-A's have done since they've left Oakland. [SFGate]
Friday, September 25, 2009
Greg Jennings - Well, he's coming off a zero catch game, but he went 6 for 106 and a TD in week 1. It's all good.
Marques Colston - Leads all receivers in TDs with three and has 11 receptions. Saints' offense should keep rolling.
Felix Jones - Only 13 carries through two weeks, but Jones is averageing 9.1 ypc and should get more touches on MNF with Barber likely out due to injury.
Donnie Avery - Ouch. Not looking good on this one. Seven receptions, fifty yards, no touchdowns and two fumbles. Did I put him on the wron list?
Ray Maualuga - The tackle numbers aren't there yet, but he's got a sack and two forced fumbles so far.
Andre Johnson - Fourteen catches, 184 yards and two touchdowns through two weeks. As long as Darrell revis isn't covering him, he's unstoppable.
Gary Guyton - Jury is still out on Guyton, but Jerod Mayo's injury has opened the door. Boom or bust time for Guyton and RT's pick.
Vincent Jackson - Eleven catches, 197 yards and two touchdowns. Inc ase you missed it, the Chargers aren't a running team anymore.
Brett Favre - He's 31st in passing yards this season. Brady Quinn has 100 more yards passing than Brett.
Derrick Ward - Twenty one carries for 94 yarsd and a score, but much of his touches have been diverted to Cadillac Williams. Unfortunately for me, not Ward, Cadillac is hurting and Ward should see an increased workload thsi week.
Brian Westbrook - Typical Wetbrook. He hasn't practived all week and is listed as questionable. He's got 22 carriew and 116 yards through two games, about half the production you'd expect from him.
Kurt Warner - Just completed an NFL record 92% of his passes last week. Rt, are you sure I didn't mix up my NFC west picks?
Joe Flacco - He's tied for second with five touchdown passes and sixth in passer rating. Will it last?
Anthony Gonzalez - Sprained his PCL in the opener and has yet to get into the stat book.
Terrell Owens - Five receptions, 98 yards and a touchdown for Team Obliterator. He hasn't even begun to implode, yet either.
JaMarcus Russell - Brady Quinn has a better passer rating. JMR is dead last in completion percentage, 15% lower than #31. 15%!!!!
- Texans -3.5 over the Jaguars
After last week, I am starting to believe the Jets defense is really good on the Texans offense is not that bad. The Jags go down again.
- Lions +6.5 over the Redskins
Did anybody see the Redskins last week!? They almost cost me my suicide pool with that pathetic showing against the Rams. The Lions are ready to win and I think this is their week.
- Bengals +4 v. Steelers
When you go 0-3 you need to start thinking outside of the box. The Bengals have been pushed around by the Steelers for the last couple years and I think they want pay back. Not to mention, they look a lot better than the Bears at this point.
- Giants -6.5 @ Buccaneers
The Giants are really good and with Eli clicking with his WRs TB's stinky defense won't be able to keep the G-Me out of the endzone.
- Jets -1 v. Titans
The Jets defense is for real and Darrelle Revis and Dwight Lowery will have no problems in man coverage allowing the Jets to put 8 in the box to stop Chris Johnson.
- 49ers +6.5 @ Vikings
The 49ers have proven the can contain All Day once before. All they have to do this game is force Brett Favre to make a couple mistakes and I'll take the six and a half.
Week 1 Results
Koski: 49ers +6.5 @ ARI, Cowboys -6 @ TB, Vikings -4.5 @CLE
RT: Packers -3.5 v. CHI, Patriots -11 v. BUF, Chargers -9 @ OAK
Week 2 Results
Koski: Raiders+3 @KC, Packers-9.5v. CIN, Chargers-3v. Ravens
RT: Titans-6.5 @ Texans, Steelers-1@CHI, Panthers+6.5 @ ATL
The 49ers were not a preseason sleeper this season. After a 2-0 start, the media is warming up to the team, but Mike Singletary wants his team to be wary of evil. The Evil of Overconfidence. [Yahoo!]
Possible scenarios for Michael Crabtree. [NFP]
Football Outsiders looks at the Top 10 QB contracts in the NFL. [Football Outsiders]
Tough test for Cal this week at UO. [SFGate]
P-Willy stays grounded. [Merc]
Are the Raiders making progress this season? You won't know unless you buy a ticket. [Sac Bee]
Jeff Baker to Giants' playoff hopes, "I crush you!" [SFGate]
Go see the new faces of the A's franchise...before Beane trades them. Sorry A's fans, couldn't resist. [SFGate]
Thursday, September 24, 2009
* I love the concept that a writer can say Freddy Sanchez would not want to test the free agent market after having knee surgery in the off-season and then the writer goes on to say it behooves the Giants to seek a long-term deal. WHAT THE F*** ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!?! Any trader worth anything know that it is better to cut your losses than try to double down and HOPE (not a trading strategy) that they will get a better. Can you imagine how good a sports team would be if they had smart people with trading sense running an organization!? Red Sox, Rays ... [SF Gate]
* Giants win and are ready to look towards the off-season. [SJ Merc]
* The second best pitcher in the Bay Area starts for the A's tonight [MLB.com]
* Does anybody think JaMarcus Russell will ever be a top 20 quarterback in the NFL? So why stick with him? [SJ Merc]
* Guess what ... the Niners-Vikings game is going to be pretty good. [SF Gate]
* However, it is not good when the best player in football wants payback. [CC Times]
* I will admit it ... I am on the Sharks bandwagon because they have the only front office in the Bay Area that seems to care about winning a championship. Time to buy my Heatley jersey. [SJ Merc]
Wednesday, September 23, 2009
Can we all agree that the Giants' season is now over? Please? Kawakami wraps a bow on it. [Merc] Raise your hand if you'd do the Freddy Sanchez trade over again. You disgust me.
That A's, still in Oakland. [CCTimes]
The company behind Pitchf/x, I think they do the first down line in the NFL as well, are working on a Fieldf/x at AT&T park. [SFGate]
More on the Villalona situation in the DR. [SFGate]
Matt Maiocco presents the NFL's anti-tampering policy [Press Democrat]
Tuesday, September 22, 2009
* If you have bought a ticket to a Giants home game after Sept. 20, you could be going for free. Why you ask? I am sure the class action lawsuit against the team for false advertising. "We are IN this thing?" No matter if thing is defined as the playoffs or the first overall pick in the draft ... the Giants are in fact not IN this thing. [SF Gate]
* At what point does the Crabtree talk stop? Week 5, Week 10 ... [SJ Merc]
* I have to admit that Shaun Hill could be the next Trent Dilfer. [SF Gate]
* Isn't this good news? [CC Times]
* Who wants to go to Delaware this weekend!? [Fan House]
Monday, September 21, 2009
New news on the Michael Crabtree front. The 49ers have filed tampering charges with the NFL accusing the Jets of malfeasance. [Press Democrat]
This is the most interesting article about the contract issues between Crabtree and the 49ers. [National Football Post]
The Niners are 2-0 and Matt Maiocco breaks down every players performance from yesterday's win against Seattle. [Press Democrat]
We're only two weeks into the NFL season, but the 49ers and Raiders are better than they've been in recent years. [Merc]
As the 49ers gain victories, Crabtree loses leverage. [CC Times]
Scott Ostler, who do you think you are? Writing actual columns? JaMarcus Russ ell was bad, but good enough at the end to steal a win. [SFGate] JaMarcus Russell is a drive killer. he can't complete the short passes consistently and that leads to a lot of three and outs. He's got a great arm and throws a nice deep ball, but the inaccuracy is maddening. Also, was anybody else bothered that the 6'7" QB couldn't throw a screen over a d-lineman?
Frank Gore etched his name in the record books next to Barry Sanders as the only two backs with two touchdown runs over 75 yards in the same game. [Merc]
Darren McFadden beat the Chiefs last season on the same play he beat the Chiefs with this season. [SFGate]
The Giants are almost assuredly not going to make the playoffs and some other terrifying news surfaced yesterday. Top Giants prospect, Angel Villalona, has turned himself in to police in the Dominican Republic where he is suspected of...murder! [SFGate] Wow.
A's fans continue to search for silver linings with a 13-5 record in September. [SFGate]
Friday, September 18, 2009
- Titans -6.5 v. Texans.
The Titans are a much better team than people think and they get to play an overrated Texans team at home. I don’t understand how the line in this game isn’t at least 10.
- Steelers -1 @ Bears
No Urlacher, No Receivers, No Bears.
- Panthers + 6.5 @ Falcons
The Panthers and Delhomme rebound from a terrible loss to cover against the Falcons.
- Oakland +3 @ Chiefs
Darren McFadden destroyed the Chiefs at Arrowhead last season, Matt Cassel may play, but is still hurt and Richard Seymour has really improved the Raiders D-line.
- Packers -9.5 v. Bengals
The Packers left a lot of points on the field last week and they are going to get them back against the Bengals.
- Chargers -3 v. Ravens
The Chargers' offense rebounds in home opener against a Ravens team that gave up 24 points to the Chiefs at home last week.
Week 1 Results
Koski: 49ers +6.5 @ ARI, Cowboys -6 @ TB, Vikings -4.5 @CLE
RT: Packers -3.5 v. CHI, Patriots -11 v. BUF, Chargers -9 @ OAK
Wednesday, September 16, 2009
No. Bonds only stole one MVP from Pujols and that came in 2004. The Giants failed to make the playoffs and Pujols led the Cardinals to a central division crown. The Cardinals won the division by 13 games over the Astros who won the Luis Gonzalez and not Bonds or Pujols.
Of course, the steroid issue is the big elephant in the room and everyone wants to cling to Pujols as the only clean guy in the game during the second or third most tainted era in baseball history. (You tell me what’s worse – A) Throwing the performance enhancing drugs beyond the usual greenies and 6 cups of coffee) As long as “the list” remains sealed and biased congressmen conduct reports about performance enhancing drugs and never set foot in the Dominican Republic, Venezuela or Japan, we cannot say with any kind of certainty that a certain player was clean., B) Not letting minorities play the game or C) Having players taking
As a result, it can be legitimately argued that Bonds might not have been the most deserving candidate for the 2001 and 2004 MVPs but to say he stole multiple MVPs from Pujols is incorrect.
Here's how the numbers compared: