Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Sanchez for Alderson: Koski is not Happy!!

It appears the Giants have traded for Freddy Sanchez. That's not the worst part, they gave up one of their top prospects, Tim Alderson. I'm flabbergasted. I don't get it. Freddy Sanchez? Couldn't the Giants be patient and look for, I don't know, a bat with power after the season for Alderson? I'm praying the Giants saw something they didn't love in Alderson that urged them to sell high, but I really don't get this move. Sure, 2B is fixed for the time being, but the Giants biggest weakness has been power all season. Freddy Sanchez does not hit for power. Sanchez is also 31 years old and could be a rent-a-player if the Giants decide not to pick up his $8M option for 2010. I hope Ralph Barbieri is happy.

Here's some Sanchez stats, per Baseball-reference.com:

.300 hitter who doesn't walk

No power with 37 HRs in four and a half full seasons.

Below average fielder.

Alderson was 6-1 with a 3.47 ERA in AA. The only thing I can think of is he's not a strikeout pitcher, but I'm grasping at straws here.

A mere three hours ago, Baggs posted this on his blog regarding the deal:
"Names such as John Bowker, Kevin Frandsen and Jesus Guzman have been bandied about by si.com as guys who might be going the other way."
I would give up ALL of those guys for Sanchez if I could keep Alderson. I don't get it!

No comments: