Random Thoughts – January 19, 2009
* I guess 5-0 against the spread in the AFC playoffs is pretty good!
* What percentage of the Warriors fan base is now drinking the Jamal Crawford Kool-Aid? I say 85%
* I will admit that I am consumed by the concept of the Giants acquiring Manny Ramirez. Everyone who hates the idea just doesn’t understand that we are set to finish 3rd or lower in the West for the foreseeable future. If the Giants don’t sign Manny and don’t pick up a big time player next year, the team will become the new Raiders – a once prestigious franchise that is now very much an after thought
* The Cal-Stanford game had everything you wanted – close game, up tempo play and Mike Montgomery whining the entire time. He sure seems like NBA material to me.
* Speaking of college basketball – is Wake Forest for real?
* Best job on the planet – Chris Fowler. He goes to all the big college football games with ESPN’s College Gameday and, in the off-season, he spends 3 weeks in London, Paris, Melbourne and New York respectively for the four grand slams of tennis. I could not be more jealous.
* Today in the Chronicle, the Warriors beat writer talked about how it’s time to see how potent the Crawford-Ellis backcourt can be. If potency is defined as averaging more contested shots taken than assists while allowing the franchise to tread water in the seas of mediocrity, I would say we are about to see one of the most potent backcourts in the league. To be honest, I think they will be the most potent back court since Starbury and … Jamal Crawford for the Knicks two years ago. How exciting!?
* Talk to you soon.